Upper Mustang a demilitarized area until 1992 is now the most popular and charming destination of Nepal. Nestling in the rain shadow of the dazzling, white and beautiful Dhaulagiri Mountain, the forbidden kingdom Upper Mustang is an ancient capital of Lopas “People of Lo or Mustang”. If you are one of those, who craves from wilderness and exploration, then trekking to the lost kingdom is a must do!!
Mustang (upper) an ancient former Himalayan Kingdom lays in the northern central part of Nepal which is a remote isolated region of the Nepalese Himalayas with a touch of mystery and seclusion.
The trek begins from Kagbeni “gateway to upper mustang” after two hour walk from Jomsom, the windiest village of Nepal. The major attractions of Upper Mustang Trek are the prehistoric Tibetan village, rare medieval Buddhist arts, and the exotic Tibetan “Buddhist” culture, architectures (high city walls and the cliff hanging Caves), the high Himalayan dessert with colorful stratified rock formations.
Not to forget, the trek provides an opportunity to view the breathtaking panoramic view of some of the magnificent Himalayas Annapurna, Gangapurna, Machhapuchhre, Dhaulagiri and some other trailing mountain peaks.
Upper mustang has a trans himalayan climate and lies in the rain shadow area of the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri range. Pre-Monsoon (March-June) and Post-Monsoon (September-November) are the best season to trek in the Northern side of Nepal. The remote region can be accessed throughout the year even in the disquieting monsoon season.
Cost & Permit
Entering into the foothills of himalayan giant needs a special permit, costing $50 per day per person (foreigner), $500 for 10 days. Even though with a heavy permit fee, every penny paid for the restricted region ,Upper Mustang, guarantees its value, lifetime Himalayan and cultural experiences.
Tiji festival in Lo-Manthang
Mustang a Tibet Autonomous Region of the Nepal is rich in Buddhist culture. The Tiji Festival,3 days ritual every May,in Lo-Manthang is an alternate way to experience the Tibetan native culture and landscape.
Lo-Manthang, the walled capital city of Upper Mustang is noted for its tall white washed mud brick walls, gompas and King’s Palace, a nine-cornered, five story structure built around 1400.
Day 1 : Drive to Pokhara.
Day 2 : Fly to Jomsom and trek to Kagbeni
Day 3 : Trek to Chele [6-7] hours trek
Day 4 : Trek to Geling [6-6.5] hours trek
Day 5 : Trek to Charang [6-7] hours trek
Day 6 : Trek to Lo-Manthang [5-6] hours trek
Day 7 : Acclimatization and Exploration day on Lo Manthang
Day 8 : Trek to Ghami [4-6] hours trek
Day 9 : Trek to Samar [5-6] hours trek
Day 10 : Trek to Kagbeni [5-6] hours trek
Day 11 : Trek to Jomsom [3-4] hours trek
Day 12 : Fly to Pokhara
Equipment and Gears
- Hiking boots (long lasting boots) make sure you break them well before arriving in Nepal. One could spend up to 5 to 6 hours a day on the trail.
- Soft and light shoes (Rubber shoes/sandals/sneakers) carry a lightweight shoes for after the day hike.
- Sunglasses (geniuses UV protected) the sun rays are particularly strong the higher you go.
- Lightweight sleeping bag, essential during peak seasons (October-December). Lodges do offer blankets, but are scarce during the peak season, therefore carrying a sleeping bag (-10 C°) can be a great precaution.
- First aid kit containing paracetamol, burn cream, bandaids , antiseptic cream, water purification.
- Other/Optional Extras : Trekking poles (for rough terrain), Wallet (bring lots of small changes), Trekking bars (energy bars), Gloves (windproof).
The interesting charms of this Upper Mustang Trek.
Get Free Advice from Travel Experts